Hymn For the Weekend


This post is inspired by an article about Chris Martin, which said he once admitted to becoming "down and confused" following his split from Gwyneth Paltrow. He said that some his friends gave him a book called Man’s Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl, and a poem called The Guest House by Rumi.









I once given an advice from one of my work mentor to read Viktor Frankl's, after I told her I had 'rough times' and submit my resignation. I still don't have the book. But reading Chris Martin article, I think maybe that book is have lot of recommendation for depressed people. So, maybe that The Guest House poem too. So I read it. And maybe you should too. Depressed or not.


The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing .
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi



As a guide from beyond. Beyond my expectation, beyond my understanding.


Comments